By Monika Rathert and Artemis Alexiadou (Editors)
Read or Download The Semantics of Nominalizations across Languages and Frameworks (Interface Explorations 22) PDF
Best linguistics books
Written through a world meeting of major philosophers, this quantity offers a survey of up to date philosophy of language. in addition to delivering a synoptic view of the most important matters, figures, suggestions and debates, each one essay makes new and unique contributions to ongoing debate. issues lined comprise: rule following, modality, realism, indeterminacy of translation, inscrutability of reference, names and inflexible vacation spot, Davidson's software, that means and verification, goal and conference, radical interpretation, tacit wisdom, metaphor, causal theories of semantics, items and standards of id, theories of fact, strength and pragmatics, essentialism, demonstratives, reference and necessity, identification, that means and privateness of language, vagueness and the sorites paradox, holisms, propositional attitudes, analyticity.
This is often the main complete account of Catalan phonology ever released. Catalan is a Romance language, occupying a place someplace among French, Spanish, and Italian. it's the first language of six and a part million humans within the northeastern Spain and of the peoples of Andorra, French Catalonia, the Balearic Islands, and a small quarter of Sardinia.
Геральдический словарь, в котором представлены изображения и названия 530 геральдических фигур на 6 языках: французском, английском, немецком, испанском, итальянском, голландском.
- The non-Bantu languages of north-eastern Africa
- Anonyponymous: The Forgotten People Behind Everyday Words
- Tunumiit oraasiat: Tunumiut oqaasii = The East Greenlandic Inuit language
- The Oxford Handbook of Linguistic Fieldwork (Oxford Handbooks in Linguistics)
- Conversational Potawatomi
- Conversational Tahitian; An Introduction to the Tahitian language of French Polynesia
Additional info for The Semantics of Nominalizations across Languages and Frameworks (Interface Explorations 22)
1. g. events, result states and objects) depending on the context that they occur in. We concentrate on contexts formed by adjectival modifications and by the selectional restrictions of the predicates the nominalizations are arguments of. There are cases that show conflicting selectional restrictions and hence pose problems for the compositional process as in (1) and (2). We mark the selectional restriction on the adjective or verb by the superscript EV for event and RE for result. In (1) the adjective wiederholt ‘repeated’ selects an event reading of Messung ‘measuring / measurement’, while the predicate belegen ‘show, demonstrate’ selects the result reading in the sense that the results or the figures of the measurements show that something is the case.
Nominalization in context 39 (27) Die [wiederholten]EV Messungen [belegen]RE, dass es keine Verbesserung gab. ’ The first indicator wiederholt ‘repeated’ modifies an event and so we claim that the composition of this modifier with the nominal already fixes its interpretation. e. by filling in that the event is such, that it has results that prove something. Nevertheless, we do not claim that it is always the event that triggers the enrichment of a conflicting second indicator – in our opinion the order in the sentence determines which interpretation will be adhered to: In (28) we first have a modification with vorliegend ‘at hand’, so that the nominalization is indicated as a result reading and is preserved as such by enriching the second (event-) indicator regelgerecht durchgeführt ‘conducted regularly’ into a result predicate: (28) Nur wenn man die genaue Bezeichnung des Videosystems kennt, kann man abschließend sagen, ob die [vorliegende]RE Messung [regelgerecht durchgeführt wurde]EV und somit [verwertbar]RE wäre.
Featherston, von Heusinger and Weiland, in preparation). This analysis allows us to account for a particular type of meaning alternation, leaving other types for other theories of meaning shift operations (cf. section 4), which then do not have to be complicated. g. the context dependent shifts of simple nouns, restrictions in systematic polysemy (cf. Nunberg 1995), copredication cases and resultative adverbs (cf. Geuder 2002). On the other hand, copredication can give new insights into a widely neglected area: The distribution of readings deverbal nominals display: Some seem more closely intertwined with the event than others.