By Peter Handke
Set in 1960, this novel tells of Filib Kobal's trip from his domestic in Carinthia to Slovenia at the path of his lacking brother, Gregor. he's armed merely with of Gregor's books: a replica publication from agricultural tuition, and a Slovenian - German dictionary, within which Gregor has marked sure phrases. The ensuing research of the legislation of language and naming turns into a transformative research of himself and the area round him.
Read or Download Repetition PDF
Best linguistics books
Written through a global meeting of prime philosophers, this quantity presents a survey of latest philosophy of language. in addition to supplying a synoptic view of the most important matters, figures, innovations and debates, every one essay makes new and unique contributions to ongoing debate. themes coated contain: rule following, modality, realism, indeterminacy of translation, inscrutability of reference, names and inflexible vacation spot, Davidson's software, which means and verification, purpose and conference, radical interpretation, tacit wisdom, metaphor, causal theories of semantics, gadgets and standards of id, theories of fact, strength and pragmatics, essentialism, demonstratives, reference and necessity, identification, that means and privateness of language, vagueness and the sorites paradox, holisms, propositional attitudes, analyticity.
This is often the main accomplished account of Catalan phonology ever released. Catalan is a Romance language, occupying a place someplace among French, Spanish, and Italian. it's the first language of six and a part million humans within the northeastern Spain and of the peoples of Andorra, French Catalonia, the Balearic Islands, and a small area of Sardinia.
Геральдический словарь, в котором представлены изображения и названия 530 геральдических фигур на 6 языках: французском, английском, немецком, испанском, итальянском, голландском.
- The Big Book of Being Rude - Как быть грубым
- Étude Descriptive et Comparative du Gafat (Étiopien Méridional)
- Beiträge zur Kunde der indogermanischen Sprachen 01gtuoft
- Roots of English: Exploring the History of Dialects
Additional resources for Repetition
27) points to the latent fear that English would emerge as the working language of the European Union, given the high proportion of second-language English-speakers across the member states. In clear contrast to the Italian Constitution, the French Constitution following this change underscored the dominance of the French language, without acknowledging the linguistic diversity as a lived experience across the country. 2008 saw a minor modification to Article 75 of the Constitution, which acknowledged formally the existence of an undefined number of regional languages, which are recognized as part of France’s ‘heritage’.
Nevertheless, the spectre of l’Académie française has cast a considerable shadow over language ideologies, and the emergence of a language Sketching the Contexts: Italy and France 31 ideology which dictates that there is only one monolithic and undifferentiated variety of French to which all speakers should aspire has echoed down the centuries. The effects of this dogma are explored in the French Mediterranean cities investigated in this book, and we consider the ways in which this discourse permeates not only the ways in which languages are emplaced in French coastal towns, but also language beliefs (Spolsky, 2004) regarding multilingualism and the place of French in the LL.
Education has emerged as a coveted domain in language policy in France as early as 1530, when François I founded the Collège de Lecteurs Royaux which taught in French (Judge, 2007, p. 21). However, as with subsequent attempts to extend the education system across France, a lack of finance and – in the case of the launch of Sketching the Contexts: Italy and France 35 Napoléon’s lycée system and prestigious Grandes Écoles – ideological ambivalence to mass education (Adrey, 2009, p. 117) made progress in the teaching of French slow and largely unsuccessful until the end of the nineteenth century.